Thu. Sep 21st, 2023
    Dozens of Wedding Guests Suspected of Food Poisoning After Reception in Melbourne

    At least 40 wedding guests who attended a reception in inner Melbourne are battling suspected food poisoning. The celebration took place at The Park, a reception venue in Albert Park, where the guests consumed chicken and pork before falling ill on Sunday night. Among those affected are children as young as four and five, as well as elderly people, with some of them being taken to the hospital.

    The Victorian Department of Health has confirmed that it is currently investigating a gastroenteritis outbreak among the wedding guests. A spokesperson stated that they are working with the Port Phillip Council to determine the source of the outbreak and to implement necessary infection prevention and control measures.

    The Park’s venue manager has also acknowledged the incidents and mentioned that the venue’s team is working closely with both the event guests and the council to identify the cause of the outbreak. In a statement, the manager assured that a precautionary deep clean has been carried out, and the venue has been approved to resume trading.

    Food poisoning outbreaks can occur as a result of consuming contaminated food or beverages. Symptoms often include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever. It is crucial for authorities to investigate such incidents to prevent further spread of the illness and to ensure that appropriate food safety measures are in place to avoid future outbreaks.

    – Victorian Department of Health
    – The Park in Albert Park reception venue

    Note: Due to lack of specific URLs for the sources, they cannot be provided.