Chinese power and energy investment companies are planning to undertake one of the largest renewable energy projects in the world. China Longyuan Power Group Corporation and CHN Energy Investment Group have joined forces to propose the construction of an 11-gigawatt (GW) renewable energy generation base in the Badain Jaran Desert in Gansu, China.
The ambitious project aims to harness various sources of clean energy, including thermal power, energy storage, and solar thermal projects. However, it is important to note that the project has not yet received official approval from the Chinese authorities. The joint venture’s capital is expected to be around $417 million (3 billion Chinese yuan), with China Longyuan contributing 51% and CHN Energy contributing the remaining 49%.
If approved and realized, the 11-GW renewable energy project will rank among the largest renewable energy sites globally, second only to the planned 20-GW Jiuquan wind base, also located in Gansu. This development underscores China’s commitment to becoming a global leader in renewable energy.
China has already surpassed its target of having more non-fossil fuel installed electricity capacity than fossil fuels. Currently, 50.9% of China’s power capacity comes from non-fossil fuel sources. The Chinese government previously aimed to surpass fossil fuel-installed capacity with renewables by 2025, but this milestone has been achieved ahead of schedule.
Further cementing its leading position in renewable energy, China is set to account for approximately 55% of global additions to renewable power capacity in both 2023 and 2024, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). The IEA also predicts that by 2024, China will be responsible for nearly 70% of all new offshore wind projects globally, as well as significant shares of onshore wind and solar PV projects.
This large-scale renewable energy project in the Gobi Desert signifies China’s commitment to transitioning to a more sustainable energy future and solidifies its position as a global leader in renewable energy development.
1. What is the proposed capacity of the renewable energy project in the Gobi Desert?
The proposed capacity of the renewable energy project in the Gobi Desert is 11 gigawatts (GW).
2. What sources of clean energy will be utilized in the project?
The project aims to harness various sources of clean energy, including thermal power, energy storage, and solar thermal projects.
3. Has the project received official approval?
No, the project has not yet received official approval from the Chinese authorities.
4. What is China’s current power capacity mix?
China currently obtains 50.9% of its power capacity from non-fossil fuel sources, surpassing its target to surpass fossil fuel-installed capacity with renewables by 2025.
5. What is China’s global share in renewable power capacity additions?
China is projected to account for nearly 55% of global additions to renewable power capacity in both 2023 and 2024, according to the International Energy Agency.